Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What Story Can You Tell?

"Do you have a Grand Narrative? Are you still writing the story of your life?"


Me? I can tell a lot of stories, but not one Grand Narrative...at least not yet, anyways. I have smaller tales of the good and the bad, the struggles and the triumphs, the Disney and, um, well, the Disney.


Speaking of Disney, in the book of Natalie, that would be a chapter unto itself. When I first got down to Orlando for the Disney College Program, the Natasha Beddingfield song "Unwritten" just came out, and the first time I heard it, I thought the lyrics perfectly summed up the beginning of the program for me. "Today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten." And I still feel that way now. My book has begun (I have since broadened my perspective beyond Disney...ah, there is hope for me yet!), but it remains unwritten at this point.


Scrapbooks would be my preferred way of telling my life story. It has photos as well as writing and it is an activity in which I can truely let my creative side throw caution to the wind and take over. And, like song, my scrapbook of Disney has begun (it is only a jumble of pictures thus far), yet remains unwritten. I think I feel that if I were to start the scrapbook for the College Program, then the experience would officially be over, almost as if it never happened. Even though my book of Disney is unwritten right now, I do not want the feeling to end once I begin my scrapbook ... "No one else can speak the words on your lips." It is something I will do, myself, once I am ready and until then, I will keep thinking of ways to uniquely present my Grand Narrative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home